Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cinnamon Jam Drops

Mum had an afternnoon tea with the fantastic women from her church to celebrate her 50th last weekend. The guests were asked to bring a plate of food so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to make the jam drops as requested by nagging fellow blogger/ friend, Chilli Walter.

Source: An old Marie Claire cookbook, Food + Drink

Cinnamon Jam Drops



Yes, those spaces are there for a reason..they smelt literally irresistable just out of the oven
3/4 cup self raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup rice flour
75 grams unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
berry jam ( I used 2 types of raspberry)

Preheat the oven to 180℃. Sift together the cinnamon, flour and rice flour. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg, beating well. Fold into the sifted ingredients until just combined. Roll a teaspoon of the batter into a ball and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Press a deep indent into the centre of each ball and fill with a little berry jam. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden. Makes 36.

A good quality rich and seedy jam is ideal I found and the fresh cinnamon I picked up from my local fruit market gave it a scrumptious tastey taste! They did, however crack a little so I'll have to see how to perfect that with my next batch.

Now to twist Nanna's arm for the fork biscuits..

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting about these! Now I know what they are, I have tried them before. They look really good,your photos are top notch. I must find some good raspberry jam and make these. I am not sure that the cracking is an imperfection. Maybe our food tech friend Tina will have a tip for this? Like the facelift,looks more like spring than here in Ulm.

    ReplyDelete